View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 12:02 PM  
Periwinkle
Newborn Pup

Question Is the Vet really doing the right thing?

Hey all!

So recently, my Chinese Hamster Rose became ill. It was clearly a URI, and I brought her to our vet immediately who confirmed that I was correct.

The vet gave us Baytril and she has been taking it twice a day every day for 7 days. He said she would improve by the 7th day, but when I didn't hear her sneezing stop and activity at night return to normal by day 6, I made an appointment for a check up.

He listened to her lungs and said they sounded clear, and her 'clicking' has stopped, but still sneezing. He gave us Baytril for another 7 days to "clear the rest up", but I can't help but worry. Is this going to work? It didn't work the first dose...

She eats, drinks, and her movements are quick, agile, and she is not sluggish or lethargic. Her eyes are wide and clear. However, she never runs on her wheel at night.

I know some of you guys will tell me I don't stay up all night to watch her, and this is true. But I don't usually get to bed until 1 or 2 am, and she is still never awake and active. (Besides coming out to get food and water when she wants it, then right back to her nest)
I also know if she uses her wheel because she pees on it, and there is no pee, it's squeaky clean.

Should I be concerned that the medication is not helping? I know I should trust my vet, and he is great at what he does. He even sees farm animals.

Did anyone else ever notice that their hamster's Upper Respiratory infection took a long time to go away? She's only 2 months old. Shouldn't her immune system be fairly strong? Like I said, the only symptoms left are sneezing/coughing fits, and little to no night time activity.

Should I change her bedding? I'm using Kaytee Clean and Cozy. WELP!
Periwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote