Thread: Pickle's Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 05:59 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Pickle's Thread

I have made the unusual decision to move Pickle to a slightly smaller cage with better front access and he seems fine with it. It is much better for me to interact with him as well. He is a different personality to Newt who was quite gregarious and would come to one of the Barney cage front doors and want to come out regularly. Pickle is lovely out of the cage but a sleepyhead and difficult to get out. I think he found the height unnerving at first so I had filled it up with things and then couldn’t do much through the top door either. So the Barney cage wasn’t working for him and I had to keep taking the bars off to get him to walk into a tube. That was getting a pain for me and a bit risky in case he jumped out. So I decided I really needed a big front opening door with Pickle. Now Moo is in the Savic plaza and easy to interact with through the big door plus he comes to the door himself. But I didn’t want to move both of them. So thought about getting another Savic plaza - but it is still tall. So in the end I have moved him to the Savic Mickey 2XL and it is way easier for me as I can get closer to him and he seems quite happy with it. I let him have a play in it first and he went to sleep haha. He is a sleepyhead.

So moved everything over. It is more or less the same set up but he loses the shelf width and shelf on the left plus one of the sputniks. He seemed quite happy with it all - a bit surprised to find nothing on the other side of his Sputnik but otherwise seems fine and we had a little chat tonight. He even came out with the lights on.

I can now reach much easier to spot clean his house (he hasn’t quite got the idea of the litter tray! And pees in both compartments of his house) and it is so much easier to reach him.

I felt mean moving him to a smaller cage but it’s still a good size and I will see how he goes. He loves being out of the cage but I think the faff with taking the bars off was making him nervous. He's not a digger so the substrate depth being a bit lower in one corner isn't an issue.

I put him in the pet carrier while I was moving everything over and he sat for a really long cuddle after he came out of that. It was like he was saying "don't put me back in there again!" And being very affectionate. Then had a little run around the living room and into the cage where he checked everything out and then went to bed. I set up the nightcam last night so at some point have a video of him in the cage.

Oh and I have finally got the blooming yellow bottle holder removed from the Savic Mickey 2xl - it has been stuck there for years and it took a power drill to finally get it off! So if anyone gets a Ferplast sippy bottle, don’t fix the bottle holder to the bars - it drove me mad not being able to remove it!

Attachment 50083

Attachment 50084

Attachment 50085

Last edited by Pebbles82; 11-27-2022 at 06:50 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote