View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 02:37 PM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Hydrocephalic Hamster

Right I'll try my best and hopefully it makes sense and isn't too heart breaking for you.

Hydrocephalus is water on the brain giving the head a dome shape. This can shorten the snout and makes the eyes bulge. There's another condition called brachycephalic were the snout is shorter but doesn't have hydrocephalus. A bulldog is an example of an animal thats brachycephalic.

Now before we go any further, thank you for taking on a special needs animal. They deserve a life too.

Hydrocephalus in hamsters can cause brittle teeth so regular checkups are advised. As they have bulging eyes they're more prone to poking them so no sharp edges. Many are at higher risk of respitory issues because of the shorter snout. In theory paper should be ok, but if severe fleece is the only option. You may notice your ham may not be as big as a hamster without hydrocephalus. Because of the pressure on the brain, seizures are not uncommon and unfortunately life span is shorter. I can not give you exact age as it's on individual cases but it's not uncommon for them to die young.

Can we have a pic of her?

Last edited by Engel; 02-11-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote