View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 01:07 PM  
M310
Newborn Pup

Default Bursted eye! They only gave me 2 options :(

Can someone help me to decide what to do? (sorry if my english is wrong)

I have a syrian hamster, her name is Bongson and she has been with me for 1 year and 10 months and I completely adore her.

But around 1 month ago I noticed some redness in her right eye and bleeding in her tail so I took her to the vet. At first we tought it was because of a trauma, she likes to climb in her cage and we thought that she fall in the wrong way. So the vet gave her baytril and metacam.

After a few days, the tail was almost healed but the redness of the eye was still there. While the vet was checking up Bongson she noticed that her teeth were very long so she decided that we had to grind her teeth (that would mean to give her anesthetics which is not very good for hamster as I have been told).

Then after 1 week of grinding her teeth, they were long again even if I bought her new chew toys and she was biting them it was still not enough and her teeth grew a lot during the period of one week. So the vet decided to wait another week because it was inhuman to give her anesthetics again when she just did the procedure just one week ago.

The following week she had the procedure done and we had to wait more or less 2 weeks to see if there is any improvement.

Nowadays, Bongsonīs eye has bursted and we have been in the vet today. They gave me 2 options:
1. To operate Bongson to remove her eye (due to her age is not sure if she will be able to survive) and if she survives we would have to grind her teeth on a weekly basis (which means give her anesthetics every week)
2.Put her to sleep

I am right now overwhelmed and I really donīt know what to do. I would like to know if you had similar experiences and what did you do?
M310 is offline   Reply With Quote