View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 04:10 AM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Any Gardeners here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
I know sweet potato is very popular for that purpose, so perhaps invest in a dehydrator and try out that if you can't get Sam's Yams in the UK.

Not sure if she'd be allergic to more exotic proteins like deer and elk for antler chew purposes, but I know the more exotic protein sources tend not to be as likely to trigger allergies as the proteins people feed far more often such as chicken or beef.

Back onto the gardening topic though, I think any gardening individual who grows food plants would benefit from a dehydrator. While they can be used for making high quality dog treats, they can also make really good things for humans! An even more ideal investment would be a freeze drier but those will get pretty expensive and aren't as easy to find so the typical casual gardener is better off with a dehydrator.
I've tried sweet potato. I dehydrate in the oven, low heat for several hours. Beau's on a hydrolyzed diet at the moment. Starting to add things to figure out what triggers him and what doesn't. Kale and lettuce are ok, broccoli isn't. I be ordered some antlers for him to try and see how it goes.

I blanch most of mine or leave it in the ground until I need it but I guess people could try dehydrating too.
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote