View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 08:24 AM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Any Gardeners here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Quick mention: the used paper based substrate is ideal to get a fire going in my patio chimnea.

Can i use used substrate (Kaytee and Carefresh) with poops attached as fertilizer or to put around plants to keep the weeds down?

Don't do what i did. I grew onions one year and chopped the leaves so they were all the same length and looked tidy. According to the aforementioned wise gardener i killed the onions.
I assume so. When I was reading up composting last night it mentioned putting in rodent bedding with poo attached into the compost. It'll breakdown quite quick mind, as it's in small pieces. As long as it's natural like kaytee is then I don't see why not. Maybe not when we've got a storm thought. I put straw/hay on the patch as I used it for nesting materials for the hamsters, I kept sneezing and thought rather than it going to waste, put it to mulch down...yeh the winds taken and it's everywhere...sorry neighbors.

Oh dear Ria it's not going very well for you is it. Bless you. Totally something I would have done though! When they get to a certain height the tops bend anyway and nearly at the same height too. Apparently it shows when they're ready but I leave them a lot longer.
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote