Thread: Playpen woes
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 02:38 PM  
Shadow Cat
Hamster Pup

Default Playpen woes

My hamster has bags of energy, I want to give her free roaming time but it's not safe to just let her loose in my room. I set up a playpen with a vinyl table cloth laid on the carpet and used plastic storage cube sides (you know the kind?) held together with zip ties and duct tape to make quite a large pen.

After two minutes she seemed more interested in trying to eat her way out of the corners than actually running around as intended. I put plenty of tunnels and houses and toys in there but alas, all she wanted to do was chew. I persisted yesterday and she was out for about thirty minutes, but by the end she seemed very agitated and bit me when I tried to gather her up to put her back in her cage.

I would like to build a more solid pen out of wood or something but I would have nowhere to store it when not in use.

Does anyone have any ideas of alternative materials, or ways to stop her trying to escape? I don't want her to chew what she's not supposed to and either hurt her teeth or ingest something she shouldn't.

My last hamster was lazy and chill, I'm not used to such a high maintenance little lady and it's stressing me out to think I'm not giving her what she needs.

Last edited by Shadow Cat; 02-04-2020 at 04:11 PM.
Shadow Cat is offline   Reply With Quote