Thread: Cage Climbing
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 07:41 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Cage Climbing

I think they usually climb to try and find a way out. Try to escape. If she drops from the roof she should be fine if you have plenty of substrate - at least 5" deep - the Barney will hold that. It'll cushion any falls. But just make sure there are no floor toys she could land on that will hurt her. Even a bendy bridge can be quite hard to land on. So anything hard or sharp could go under the shelf, or under something that's attached to the roof.

I do think they like a shelf - it's somewhere to go and it's also something they like to sit under. Makes them feel secure when they're out and about I think.

Set up of a cage can be fiddly looking at all the risks and access points etc. But you'll get there! Something like a kitchen roll tube wouldn't hurt her to land on (although slit it down one side so it expands as they're a bit small for a syrian).

Females can be very active so she may need lots to do and plenty of out of cage time. Does she like ripping up cardboard? Chuck in the odd egg box (cardboard) and you can cut the holes off a couple of the sticky out bits and put some treats inside - that'll keep her busy. Cardboard is fine to land on as well.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote