View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 04:44 PM  
Vierville
Hamster Addict

Default Dwarf hamster constantly grazing his nose

Hello. My one dwarf hamster, Norman, keeps grazing his nose. He has an identical cage and layout to our one other hamster Baldrick so I really doubt it is the cage or they'd both be doing this.

I noticed nis nose was very pink and missing fur the day after I gave him a seed bell. I took it away and took him to the vet who confirmed it wasn't mites or any skin illness but rather a consequence of rubbing and gave me some cream to put on it.

I usually give my hamsters a Burgess Excel chewing stick each week and this week I saw that his stick had been significantly gnawed on and yesterday his nose was again raw and missing fur.

Has anybody else experienced this with their hamsters?

I replaced the gnawed stick which was quite thick with the thinnest one in the packet as I don't want him to be without a chewing stick since he clearly loves chewing. I also give him a Whimzee XS toothbrush stick every other week. He doesn't bar chew at all from what I've seen.

I'm really interested to see of others have had similar experiences with hamsters grazing their moses on chewing items?
Vierville is offline   Reply With Quote