View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 01:09 PM  
Petite
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Two hammies in divided Detolf

I must admit, I am really confused now. I have read up on this subject both on this forum and in a wide and varied assortment of books. At least two of the books say that it's possible to keep more than one Campbell's, winter white or robo together (always keeping a wary eye, of course). I have kept two Campbell's together before (without proof of pedigree) and they got on fine for some months, sleeping and eating together, sharing a wheel and a water bottle (because the pet shop didn't tell me they should have one each; obviously I am better prepared this time). When one did eventually develop a grudge against the other, I separated them.

Each one was then in a cage smaller than half a detolf, one lived for 18 months, the other into old age. They displayed no signs of cage rage or bar chewing. (Re the size, I will only add that this was around 20 years ago when there was less info about suitable cage sizes, and no internet at that time on which to buy larger cages.) Living in the Outer Hebrides, where there is only one place where pets or accessories can be purchased, hampers me in that respect. I can't get a second detolf as I have nowhere to put it.

Of course, I may just have been lucky (for the first half of their lives) that they did get along well. Obviously I will have to re-think.

It does seem odd, though, that some of the cages recommended on this forum have been deemed suitable for a dwarf hamster, although smaller than half the detolf.

I know there is no guarantee that one hamster will outlive the other. My only comment in that respect is that I would HOPE they didn't go together

Last edited by Petite; 01-29-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Petite is offline   Reply With Quote