View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 09:22 AM  
sarahbutterflies
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Two hammies in divided Detolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite View Post
Thanks for replying, Cypher (love your username!) I was planning on making a really interesting habitat, but it just seems such a big space for one ham. I am quite set on now getting two hammies, and have today amended my order through the garden centre. It could still be a really interesting habitat if they got on, and if they didn't there are still other options. Theo's passing away hit me much harder than I thought it would and with two, they would (I hope) be unlikely to go at the same time, still giving me one to lavish love on and not feel hopelessly bereft. I suffer from anxiety and depression, and having Theo helped me so much I don't want to be without one again.

Edit: it will be a very hamster-proof divider!!!
Honestly there’s not such a thing as too much space for a hamster enclosure. In the wild hamsters have unlimited space and are usually alone, so it’s always best to try to accommodate that. A reason why it’s not recommended for having 2 hammies is because they don’t have that unlimited amount of space to run away if there is confrontation which could ultimately lead to death if not caught soon enough. I understand that it is hard to go through something like that but it is also best to keep the hamster’s health and care in mind too. I think it’s better to provide great care for 1 hamster than okay care for 2 hamsters, not saying that you would. If you’re still set on getting 2 hamsters and can afford it I would get 2 detolfs rather than having 2 cages just above the recommended minimum for 2 hamsters.
sarahbutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote