View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 10:39 AM  
GoStasia
Newborn Pup

Default Sudden Hamster Deaths

I have recently had two young hamsters die within two weeks of coming home. They were both weeks-months old male Syrians obtained from the same pet store. Their deaths were sudden - running around acting normally in morning, cold and lethargic by night. I spoke to the pet store, concerned these fellas had been poorly bred, but they had no reports of any other hamster deaths and suggested it maybe something in my home.

I have two children, 4 & 7, whose handling of hamsters are closely monitored. They are kept in a central room without drafts and out of direct sunlight. Provided with plenty of fresh water and pellets supplemented with fruit, veg and nuts - all following hamster safe food lists. Bedding is natural coloured paper bedding, cage cleaned weekly with mild soap and rinsed thoroughly. I have a wood burning fireplace located one floor below the hamster cage.

They were both given cardboard, pumice stone and popsicle sticks to chew on, but both did chew on painted metal bars of cage occasionally. Some fruits and veg may not have been washed before feeding to hamster and we were not diligent about removing uneaten food.

To be clear, I only had one hamster at a time, the second was a replacement for the first (awful, but the store gave us a two week guarantee)

Both hamsters were acting normally within 12 hours of death. They were both found cold and lethargic. The first I thought had gone into hibernation and was trying to revive with body heat and gentle rubbing. He began to make gasping motions (mouth wide like when they’re getting a huge carrot out of their cheek pouch) then turned blue and died. The second was also lethargic but still awake. He was belly crawling as if unable to stand. He too began gasping in my hands and making a squeaking, choking sound, then passed away. They both died within 1/2 hour of my finding them.

We have cared for these two hamsters exactly as we had previous hamsters and I cannot understand why they died. I am devastated by their deaths, especially the thought that I could have caused them. Any insight into what may have happened is appreciated as I’m not comfortable getting another hamster until this mystery is solved (we will not be going back to the same pet store and are looking into local breeders)
GoStasia is offline   Reply With Quote