Thread: My own mix
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 12:09 PM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Exclamation Re: My own mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
I wouldn't recommend making a mix completely from scratch (without any commercial foods). It's difficult to ensure you have the right minerals and vitamins. The protein, fat and fibre is really just the absolute basics of nutrition. A mix also needs to have the correct amount of sodium, calcium, riboflavin, magnesium, iron and much more.

For my Robo, I use a mix consisting of mostly the Bunny Dwarfhamster Dream food, with additional mealworms, and split peas (for protein). This gives about 17.8% protein, 6.9% fat and 9.4% fibre. Since my mix is mostly a commercial food, I can be reasonably sure it also contains the correct vitamins, minerals, etc. I would never use a mix that was less than 50% commercial food.
Unfortunately I have tried the 50/50 route. Commercial food just doesn't get eaten. Only the fatty bits like nuts and certain seeds. Athena won't touch animal produce at all, tried mealworms and shrimps as well as chicken and egg. I've tried pelleted food too, supreme science? I think that's what it's called, I used it when I had rats and I thought it was brilliant and all rats lived a long life (between 2-3 years old. I had 5 rats so not bad going as a newbie). They won't touch it either. I've tried waiting it out and leaving the food but then they started losing weight

I hope you understand that this isn't something that I'm doing lightly. I'm considering adding some vitamin solution to their water but I don't know yet
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote