View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 03:16 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Minimum and ideal cage dimensions (or surface)

Hi,
my advice is to cancel the bin cage and order a bigger one. Bin cages aren't necessarily a cheap option because you need to mesh the lid and mesh a front window so the hamster can see out. You need materials like mesh and cable ties and tools like a drill to convert a bin to a proper hamster home. If you can do it, that's fine.

I don't know which country you are in but sites like Zooplus sell good cages. The Alaska is very reasonably priced.

Free roaming is great as long as the area is secure and there's nothing unsuitable lying about your hamster could pouch. I'd strongly advise against a hamster ball. Your hamster is already stressed by living in a small cage so subjecting him to a tiny, poorly ventilated space where he can't see out properly would only stress him more.

Once you provide your hamster with a suitable habitat he'll soon settle down and enjoy his new home. He won't become reluctant to go back into his cage after free roaming because a decent house and wheel will be there, his nest and hoard, plenty of substrate to burrow in, tunnels and hides etc to play in.

While you wait, have a look at the 'Let's see your cages' thread under Housing on the Forum to get ideas.

I don't think anybody gets a hamster habitat right on the first attempt, i certainly didn't and had to learn a lot on this wonderful forum first.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote