View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 06:12 AM  
peculiarplanets
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Adopting a Syrian!

Hi! I also recently got a Syrian after only having had Russian dwarfs in the past, so I feel ya. Whenever I looked at houses or other things for my hamster, I imaged that if the item looked perfect for a dwarf, it would be too small for a Syrian. You can also make hideouts yourself. One of Jupiter's favourite hideout is a thick cardboard tube that was used for a carpet roll. But I imagine that big mailing tubes (for like posters) work too. I also went to various thrift stores. Sometimes they have animal stuff too (be sure to clean it tho!). Another thing I use has a hideout kind of thing is this piece of wood (not sure what the type is, but it's used for aquariums I believe) that, when placed upside down, provides a little shelter for Jupiter to hide under. Also keep in mind that they need a bigger wheel. Mine is 30cm. My cage is a 100cmx50cm tank and I don't think it should be much smaller than that. In the housing part of the forum I recently made a thread with pictures of my forest themed cage, if you're curious about the set-up.