View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 09:04 PM  
Dessi
Hamster Pup

Default Re: How long your bag of bedding lasts

I got my hamster at the end of october 2019 (so 3 months). I bought a bag of 41 L of Living world Aspen bedding. My hamster is in a 50 cm x 60 cm bin cage I believe. He started in a smaller bin cage to allow him to acclimate.

I also use a bit of hay and some paper bedding in his cage, to add texture and help build tunnels, which amount to about 10% total of the bedding for both of them.

I would say I have used about 25% of the Aspen bag so far (it’s compressed so there is a lot more in it than it looks). I spot clean about once a week and I have made at least 5-6 whole cage change when switching cages and doing some tests. I do however reuse whatever bedding has not been soiled. I put about 2-3 inches of bedding on one side of the cage, where the wheel, food and water are, and about 8 inches on the other side, where he builds tunnels.

So basically I figure this Aspen bag will last me at least 8 more months and so will the paper bedding and hay. You’re looking at buying this stuff once a year, which is more than reasonable. Even if I’m wrong and it only lasts 6 months total, it’s still very good !
Dessi is offline   Reply With Quote