View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 03:49 PM  
Vierville
Hamster Addict

Default Re: dwarf hamster treat options

Hi Brianh96.

It really sounds like you love your hamster which is brilliant!

Having had five dwarf hamsters over time, I can tell you that they have very individual tastes - much like people do.

You are absolutely correct that they are prone to diabetes and so you should avoid giving them anything that is high in sugar. This includes most fruits as well as vegetables like carrots. Having said that, a very tiny piece of apple , strawberry, or carrot (I'm talking about in the order of 3mm x 3mm) is ok very occasionally-once a week perhaps. You can also give them one small blueberry.

My dwarf hamsters all like broccoli- regular broccoli or the 'tenderstem' variety. They go straight for it when I put it in their cages. They like a small piece of baby corn or a slice of green bean. You can also give them a small piece of dried or fresh coconut. A quarter of a pecan or walnut is usually very well received too. The coconut and pecan or walnut is high in fat so should be given only occasionally.

Linseed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and flax seeds are all favourites too. I love to watch my little ones deshelling sunflower seeds!

I also recently bought my little ones a bird seed bell (available from pet shops) though you must check that it is not held together with honey or syrup but rather with something not sweet or sticky. You'll be able to check just by touching it or breaking a tiny piece off and tasting it. My hamsters loved it!

Finally, they seem to like Whimzee dog chews. I got the XS toothbrush shaped ones and it seems that at least one of my mob loved it and the other three have all had a nibble.
Vierville is offline   Reply With Quote