View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 08:05 AM  
a680
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Glass or Plastic Bottle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vierville View Post
Hmmm you pose an interesting question. I would imagine that glass has less potential for harmful chemicals to get into the water but to what extent this is actually a problem, I'm not sure. A lot of the plastic drinking bottles are made in China where their regulations are not the same as in the West.

Glass bottles are heavier and so if they are on the inside of the cage and happen to fall on a hamster while drinking, the potential for injury is higher but once again if the bottle is secured well I'm not sure how likely this would be.

I think the most important thing-which you already do- is to provide two separate sources of water in the event that a bottle malfunctions or a bowl gets tipped over.
I never really thought about the bottle falling as I've never once had that happen but it's a good thought to keep in mind. I use a detolf and my plastic bottle is held up by heavy duty Velcro I wonder would that also be enough for a bottle? I also have read some people say they smash easily ? It's a big worry obviously to keep my hamster safe.
And I also never thought much about where the bottles are made either I'm using the classic crystal deluxe for my hamster I've no idea where it's made!
Definitely makes me think a lot

Last edited by a680; 01-05-2020 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Mistake
a680 is offline   Reply With Quote