View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 06:46 AM  
Otaku
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Customised adaptions to cage

Some images are really dark, I'm sorry about that. The cage was on the floor because it's the easiest place to set it up, and the shelves also create dark, shadowy spaces. It reduces visibility for me but I hope it makes the hamster feel more secure.

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

As you can see I now have the silent spinner in the cage for an adult Syrian. I purchased this wheel around 11 years ago. It's a good wheel, but very bulky. I am considering buying the Trixie wooden wheel as it is about 5cm shallower in overall depth, allowing for more space to move around the cork log, but this is a good wheel so I'll see how messy the new hamster is.

Only the base and first two shelves will be accessible to the hamster while it settles in so as not to overwhelm it. The Trixie playhouse and cabin, in addition to the cork log, both offer ways to access the first shelf. This is currently lined with the Hugro hemp mat as it was all that I had left. I have ordered more "Pet Rugs" to line the entire shelf, plus a small shelf for the top half of the cage, and also to cover the bendy bridge to avoid injury and the willow tube because since joining the forum I have since become concerned about the little gaps and potential for injury, so I need more mats. (Hamsters are not cheap, but they are fun!)

On the lower half shelf is a coconut shell with some shredded tissue and food hidden within, and a plastic thing which offers a bit of cover for comfort, again with some shredded tissue and food hidden within.

Just a few more images to share. Meanwhile, again I encourage all suggestions. If I can do something better I will try, and if I can add anything for enrichment then I would love to hear about it!
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote