View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 06:27 AM  
Otaku
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Customised adaptions to cage

Apologies for my absence everyone, I have been reoccupied with uni and work.
Ok, so my dad's idea of using plastic was a no-go as the plastic he has is only 20cm deep, so we went to Builders Warehouse and purchased a big board of plywood (1829 x 607 x 12mm) - I know the untreated pine would have been the safer option but they were charging approx. £52 for the size I needed while this cost £24.59.
My dad cut the plywood to size according to my blueprints and gave it a couple of coats of (pet safe) Ronseal Garden Paint, and attached fixed metal brackets to the rear of the shelves and metal swivel/pivoted latch-like pieces to the sides and front of the shelves.

01.jpg

02.jpg

These first two images show the shelves in the cage (which is now so heavy I don't want to lift it by the handles). I might change the height of the shelves as those on the lower half are very close together - initially I wanted gaps of 10cms, but I have decided 15cm is probably more comfortable.

03.jpg

This plastic Samla is the "burrow box". My dad will cut two exit holes approx. 1cm from the bottom. The top will remain open for ventilation and access from the top shelf. I intend to attach a bendy bridge to the top of the cage to act as a barrier to prevent the hamster from falling over the edge of the box down to the middle shelf.

04.jpg

05.jpg

These two images show my initial layout with the smaller Rolly wheel attached in case I get a baby hamster. I have a Hugro hemp mat on the middle shelf and bottom shelf (which was surprisingly thick) and sewn together two "Small Pet Rug"s (zooplus) using twine, to cover the 2 half shelves. I decided to do this because I think my room is cold and though my dad will bring in a radiator to keep away the chill I don't want tiny paws being subjected to cold shelves.

If you have any comments, suggestions, recommendations or warning against anything please let me know, I really won't be offended.
I will attach the next 5 images and continue this journey with you all xoxo
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote