Thread: Biting
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2019, 03:11 PM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Biting

My hamster bit me on the ear last year and drew blood. I had been baking with nuts and seeds, and had rubbed my ears - so my own fault - she thought i was food. (I was laying on the floor when she did it and she was free roaming!)

I checked with my dr's and he said because i had my tetnus jab when i was younger it would be fine and I didn't need a booster (opinions have seemed to change on boosters now and they are not thought necessary). It's the bacteria that can cause you issues, so just make sure you flush it out very well. So yes, there is the 'potential' that you can get something from a hamster bite but it would have to be a deep wound and you just left it and did nothing with it. I do however think this would be very rare and not something to worry about too much.
'Tetanus is caused by a toxin made by spores of bacteria, Clostridium tetani, found in soil, dust and animal feces. When the spores enter a deep flesh wound, they grow into bacteria that can produce a powerful toxin, tetanospasmin. The toxin impairs the nerves that control your muscles (motor neurons)'