View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 08:52 AM  
Otaku
Hamster Pup

Default Re: To adopt or buy?

That's horrendous! I really admire your self restraint. I believe that vets and pet stores should have the power to confiscate any animal they believe is being mistreated. Yes, this can be distressing for the owner but if you choose to welcome a pet into the family you choose to be responsible for its well being. That woman is just awful.

I am all for adopting unwanted animals to relieve some of the strain on rescue shelters, but understand your argument for purchasing from a pet store. It's a real moral dilemma and really only one that you can decide.
I have been looking around for rodent/hamster rescues to adopt when I am finally ready and here in the UK there are surprisingly few. (I would like to feel reassured that this is because hamsters are rarely given up, but I know that's naive.)

I suggest having a look at your options in terms of rehoming centres and sadly, also have a look on re-sale sites. It seems many people get bored and want rid of the poor babies (which is bad enough but when people want money for the animal that is pretty shameless).

At the end of the day whatever you choose will be doing right by your new addition.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote