View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 03:10 AM  
HolleyAkers
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Opinions on "NATURAL" setups

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaAndChester View Post
Moss is absolutely safe to use in hamster enclosures. Realistically, your hamster isn't going to be eating it - but it's a great way to provide them with multiple materials for their bed. If they do accidentally ingest it, it is fine - it's just not the tastiest thing in the world. The only real issue with moss (particular sphagnum) is the environmental issue; it is not a renewable resource, and the harbouring of sphagnum destroys boglands. But, there are plenty of mosses to choose from and I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but moss is already readily available in the pet trade - and it will continue to be so, as there are species in captivity that require it in their environments. If you don't want to buy it its fine, but its not going anywhere any time soon.

I've never heard of moss posing a threat to respiratory systems, and i've used it in natural set ups for years (never once had a hamster - out of 30+ - with a URI). Now Coocnut fibre, that's another story. That stuff is dust when dry, so you must be careful if you want to use it in your set up. You can't let it completely dry out, but you dont want it wet either.

A couple of concerns with the set ups you're using as inspiration; please do not use bendy bridges as barriers unless you completely seal all the gaps. Those gaps on the top act as literal guillotines for tiny paws & legs - and we have seen many cases already where hamsters have broken legs or have had to have legs amputated from bendy bridges being used like this.

That 'bark' type material is also not recommended for use in hamster set ups. It is known to resinate (leak a very sticky resin that will destroy your hamsters cheek pouches, their fur, and whatever else it leaks into) and are often made with nails; which are not safe if your hamster chews it. Additionally, they're also notorious for splintering.

The bedding isnt deep enough in any of the set ups pictured either. Syrians need at least 8-10' over a large area (at least 775"2) and for dwarfs, you'd want at least 620"2 with a 6" (min.) depth throughout.

I know a lot of people who use craftwood for building materials and haven't reported any problems, and you can use a hamster-safe glue to connect them if you wish. Generally speaking, i've never met a hamster who has payed any interest to chewing solid platforms - so its not a huge issue.

Here's a couple of my natural set ups I've done over the years. I really can't recommend items like cork longs, bamboo roots, and grapevine enough

https://imgur.com/gallery/pzyyd

https://imgur.com/gallery/417KJ

Thank you for the response and pics!!

Are there any particular mosses you prefer other than spagnum? I have some frog moss left from a recent reptile build, is that something that might work?

I do agree with the wood in the inspiration pics, I had planned on a bit of cork bark and/or grapevine, as some others mentioned here.

I'm so glad you told me about the bendy bridges because they look like they'd make great barriers, and now I know how to utilize them properly to prevent injury.

For the craft wood, it's so readily available and there are so many options, I'm glad it works.

The variety of plant sprays you have in your setups, where do you find things like that? I would love to incorporate those as well.

Thanks again!
HolleyAkers is offline   Reply With Quote