View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 08:04 AM  
alpacassei
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Opinions on "NATURAL" setups

Natural setups are much more enriching for hamsters as far as I’m concerned.

I don’t know much moss tbh so I recommend doing your own research. dried spagnum moss is what most people use.

School glue/pva is safe for hamsters and work well with wood, the only downsides are it takes a while to dry and isnt waterproof. Make sure to choose a safe wood, there are lists online!

Terracotta plant pots look great and keep claws trimmed. Cork logs and grapevine branches are two of my favourite items for natural setups. Oat, millet, flax etc sprays, dried flowers and leaves, and hay are important in providing enrichment and encouraging foraging behaviours too. I don’t like to use woodshavings because they don’t hold burrows well and theres a risk of scratches but white or brown paper bedding looks just as good.

As Amity said, coconut fibre such as eco earth is great for small digging areas. Hamsters also need a large sandbath for grooming and toileting, this is especially important with robos who are desert hamsters and ideally need a third of their cage to be sand.
alpacassei is offline   Reply With Quote