View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 03:53 PM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Older hamster not eating his food

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilPearl View Post
Thank you Coco. I think you may be right that a vet visit won’t help since he couldn’t spot anything wrong last time. It’s probably just old age but I’ll keep an eye on it. If he goes below 140g I think I will bring him in again.

Vierville Quigley happily takes sunflower seeds and nuts. He just won’t eat his mix anymore. We have got around that problem by feeding him his mix crushed up and mixed with water (he will eat most of this). Problem is, he is still losing weight and is now at 159g (used to be 205g). This makes me think that the weight loss may not be due to under eating.
When my Luna started loosing weight I looked into it as she was eating loads, but still losing weight. What I remember reading is that when they get older it's the way the body processes the food, so they lose weight even if they are eating. I'm not very good at science stuff but it maybe the way protein is processed in the body causing the weight loss.
I just thought I would mention it as it may be a reason why you are seeing the weight loss as he is getting older.