Thread: Cage Stands
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 07:10 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Cage Stands

I used to have the cage on the floor initially - it had a big front opening door so I could set up the playpen round it and leave the door open. It is ok to have it on the floor if it is in a safe place and not likely to get kicked or knocked or anything dropped on it etc. At that time we had a bay window at the far end of the room from the door so the cage was never walked past so safe from knocks. The window was high enough up and well sealed so didn’t cause drafts.

Since we moved I have always had the cage standing on something and think it is better generally. Depending on the cage also, it can make access easier. For example the Barney cage is easier to access when stood on something but only yon a low table eg or it’s too hard to reach up and access through the top door.

I used a kallax unit as a stand at first. It is slightly high for the top door. An ikea lack coffee table would be a better height.

I now have a console table to make a kind of double shelf so I can have two cages on it but the one at the bottom needs to be front opening.

The other advantage of having it stood on a kallax unit is you have storage under the cage. The downside to a cage sitting higher up is it’s a long drip to fall if they get out. I have a large cushion on the floor in front of the cage just in case.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote