View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 01:40 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Henry and Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
That looks like an excellent hamster foraging area As for Percy - I would go with your instincts and leave him alone for a few days. Will he jump into a hamster ball if lowered into the tank? Just thinking you could get him out in it and into the bathtub or a playpen for some gradual taming possibly, after he's had a few days left alone.

A cage change might help as well. What is he in at the moment?(I've lost track of which dwarf is in which cage! sorry).

Vectis has a good piece about diabetes.

https://vectishams.com/chinese-hamster-diabetes/
PERCY is in a 70cmx40cm bin cage. He did go in a mug and has been in the play pen. I think he liked it but he is so frantic when out that its hard to say. Could be nervous hyperactivity. He didn't like the bath tub and kept jumping up the sides, dived under the blanket etc.
I can't touch him because he bites, kicks, squirms and throws himself about. This is not normal behaviour even when allowing for hamsters to be nippy, scared or nervous.

Now he's made himself a little cave in a bottom corner of the bin which he enters via a tunnel under a bendy bridge. He's been out for a drink while i was in the room but i didn't get a chance to interact with him because he went straight back to his cave.

I haven't sat in the play pen with him yet because he spends so much time in his cave and i'm going to be away for a week so will wait till i'm back and then hopefully start taming sessions and possibly upgrade his cage.

HENRY dug in his sand when he was little but gradually lost interest and seems to walk in it only to get to his toilet. Now he's peed in the sand instead of going to the corner toilet and i wonder if it could actually be in his way. I've taken it out but wonder if that was a good idea. He's awake but hasn't come out of his house yet so i'll have to wait and see. He'll throw a tantrum if he's not happy.

GORDON lives in the fish tank and he's cute but shy. He does lick seeds of my fingers though. Gordon seems to be quite a content hamster who goes about his hamster business and looks really well. I haven't had him out yet because i am the one who is nervous of dropping him or him escaping because he is so tiny and so so fast. I've spot cleaned his house tonight so he's moved into his coconut. How does anyone manage to tame a Robo??

Thank you for the link on diabetes.

That"s Robo Gordon peeking out tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191006_180840.jpg (1.94 MB, 15 views)

Last edited by Ria P; 10-06-2019 at 01:42 PM. Reason: addition
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote