View Single Post
Old 10-02-2019, 12:43 PM  
hollyblossom
Newborn Pup

Default Parents upset that I got new cage for hamster

Hi! I'm new to the forum, though I have a 9-month-old Syrian called Waffle.

She lives in the "Large" Pets at Home cage (something like 60 x 40cm) and when I just got her, I genuinely thought this cage was quite big (compared to all the other ones I saw). But then I did more research and found out that Waffle (especially since she's a female Syrian) needs much more space, though my parents disagreed and (I'm directing quoting them) said that 'hamsters have no brain' and 'she understands absolutely nothing'. This really upset me because little Waffle is the cutest hammie with such a sweet personality, and she deserves much better. So I went ahead and ordered the Savic Plaza (100 x 50 cm) online for her - granted, it wasn't the best choice to go behind my parents' back but they would never allow me to upgrade and I couldn't bear the thought of Waffle forever living in her current cage.

I told them this evening that I ordered a new cage, and they were extremely angry and pretty much said that hamsters aren't worth spending money on (it was my own money I bought the cage with). I'm extremely upset at their attitude towards my pet, and they know how much my hammie means to me. We have the space and the money for the cage, the only issue is that my parents see no value in her.

I really don't know how to handle this. I've quoted studies, made Powerpoints, etc. but they still seem to think that hamsters only eat and sleep.
It's so frustrating that they won't educate themselves on proper pet care, nor will they listen to me. Has anyone else gone through something similar?
hollyblossom is offline   Reply With Quote