View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 05:07 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Henry and Gordon

This morning i baked pear tree and hazel twigs from the garden and made a foraging corner in Henry's cage. There was a clay pot there before but he peed in it which stunk so i replaced it with a glazed mug which he ignored hence this corner. Also has a hazelnut from the garden which i had to crack open. The first homegrown nut i gave him whole thinking he's a hamster so its his job to get inside the shell. He tried but couldn't do it because he's either too lazy or too deskilled and domesticated. He ended up playing pawball with it.

Wee Gordon has a new twig on top of his house.

Percy. Not sure what's going on with him. He came out when i put the twig in to gnaw on it.
I then offered him a seed and he attacked again. Bit into my nail instead of taking the seed, held on to it, i pulled my hand up acting on sheer reflex and he fell off, only a couple of inches onto substrate so no worries there.

He had a drink and hopped into his foodbowl to get more food. When he came out i noticed his full pouches. It looks like he carries his hoard about which tells me that he is insecure and hasn't settled yet.

My instinct tells me to stop trying to interact with him directly and to leave him alone for a couple of weeks.

Or should i keep trying to interact with him wearing gardening gloves to see whether he'll continue to attack or whether he'll eventually stop trying to find out why he does it?

Any advice appreciated.

I'm on the look out for an exo terra to create a natural set up for him but have so far only seen the smaller ones advertised second hand in my area. They do come up though.

One more question: what are the signs of diabetes in hamsters? He seems to drink and sleep a lot plus the "aggression" and he looks overweight so he could be a candidate.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote