View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 01:15 PM  
AprilPearl
Hamster Hugger

Default Re: Older hamster not eating his food

Thank you for the advice everyone it’s very much appreciated.

I’ve decided to hold off on the antibiotics. I’m sure it would be fine but I don’t want to cause him gut problems at this age, or unnecessary stress.

Good to know that the pain relief is safe. He seems to like it so no problems there. We’ll see how things go.

On a positive note, I gave him a banana chip yesterday and he gnawed it into pieces so that he could pouch it. So he can still eat hard foods when he wants to! He is just choosing not to... Funny little guy.

Yes he will be 2 years and 5 months old on the 7th of October. Apart from the weight loss and refusal to eat most hard foods he isn’t acting his age. He’s a bit slower but still very keen to climb on to my hand so I can take him out for play time.

Feeding him his mix crushed up with water seems to have stopped his weight loss. He even gained some of his weight back this week, so that’s good. I’ll have to keep an eye on his teeth, though, in case they become overgrown.

Any suggestions on hard foods I might persuade him to nibble on? As much as he might love banana chips every day I don’t think that would be at all good for him!