View Single Post
Old 09-25-2019, 02:40 AM  
AprilPearl
Hamster Hugger

Default Re: Older hamster not eating his food

Thank you TL

Took Quigley to the vet this morning. I felt bad bundling him into his carry case. He tried to sleep in the car.

He was very good at the vets but I could tell he hated having his mouth forced open.

The vet said his teeth aren’t overgrown which is good although it does beg the question: why isn’t he eating his mix unless I soften it? Apparently one or two of his back teeth are a bit of a strange colour so that might be the problem although it is hard to tell. The vet gave us some pain killers and antibiotics in case there is a problem with the back teeth (an infection or something)... But I’m not sure I want to be giving him meds which could turn out to be unnecessary, especially at his age. I also don’t want to stress him out any further by forcing a syringe down his throat twice a day.

I actually think he’s just being fussy since he seems well. I might try not giving him any softened mix for a week or so and see if he will start eating his mix unsoftened again. But if he goes below 160g I will have to re evaluate since he used to be 205g before he went off hard foods.