Thread: Slime babies
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2019, 12:28 AM  
Dalis_mum
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Slime babies

The snails themselves do not smell. Any reported smell comes from the habitat, but if your habitat does smell it means there are one or more points of their care are not being managed. This could include, over crowding, failure to remove uneaten food promptly, improper cleaning schedule.

Some species (fulica) are known for being messier than others so may need a little more upkeep and cleaning.

In my tank there is a damp earth smell, as that's their substrate. But I can only smell this when I am physically in the tank, headfirst, cleaning.

A bioactive tank, in which a biome of tiny insects lives in the substrate, would reduce need to clean. I don't use it personally so can't comment on any aroma.

I have a very large tank and do a 50% substrate change every 6-8 weeks. Never do a full change as the soil will contain a biome of bacteria which the snails use to maintain their gut and digestion.

Snails are communal species so I would advise against getting a singular Shelly. Of course if you obtain two of the same species you will have to check for eggs very regularly. This is why I have two different ones. They keep each other company but don't 'get jiggy with it' reducing their time consumption.
Dalis_mum is offline   Reply With Quote