View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 01:47 AM  
Ally98
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Fleece cotton - will she be ill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
Definitely remove any you can get to out of her nest(and if for some reason you can't or aren't sure if it's all gone, as stressful as a full cage clean would be it might be necessary to remove and replace the substrate or at least go through it extremely closely to make sure there are not even the tiniest traces of cotton left behind). Fabrics of any kind and any kind of cotton(or even kapok) fiber can cause potentially lethal blockages.

I would highly recommend never using any kind of fabric hides and such in the future for any hamsters for this reason. They may work fine for other pets like rats and guinea pigs depending on how well made the products are, but hamsters can and will chew everything they have access to and are very prone to ingesting what they chew.
Okay, so I've cleaned it out, gone through it in small pieces and can't find the cotton, I did find it in the cotton bed still though, so she's even eaten it (which I doubt) or she left it in her cotton toy, as I found bits of it shredded. I removed it as soon as I heard her digging in it.

I hope she'll be okay.

She's currently hiding in her burrow, scared as anything as I had to wake her 😔
Ally98 is offline   Reply With Quote