View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 04:56 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Older hamster not eating his food

Hi April. He is a grand age now! They can get toothache, arthritis of the jaw, all sorts of things that cause pain eating hard foods, so it's very common for them to need a softer diet.

I've been giving Newt a bit of soaked science selective each day and a bit of baby food, as well as his regular hamster mix, veg and treats etc.

3 or 4 pellets of the science selective - I put them in a little baby food lid and add a few drops of water - you then need to leave it for about 15 minutes to soften - so I was doing that before doing the rest of his food and water to give it time to soak.

The science selective contains everything they need so it doesn't matter if they don't eat much of anything else. They also enjoy a bit of porridge or scrambled egg

I only use the peas one by ella's kitchen - all the rest seem to have lemon juice in -so I'm cautious about that. The cow and gate "chicken sunday lunch" was the favourite one here, along with the Hipp organic "sweet squash and chicken" and the cow and gate "chicken and pumpkin".

I can see you're taking him to the vets today. Let us know how he gets on. They might give him some Metacam.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote