View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 11:18 AM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Tank for Hamsters?

Hi, that size is a little bit on the small size, it is normally recommended that the absolute minimum size be 450sq inches which is 2903sq cm - so if you take your tank size, 90x 30cm that is only 2700sq cm.
To be honest with you the bigger you can go is normally better for the health and quality of life for your hamster. Personally for any hamster I would not be looking at anything smaller than 100cm x 50cm, but I know many people have larger and smaller than this. The larger the cage the less often it needs a big clean, you can spot clean every few days or so. Yes you would need a lid that provides ventilation.

I use megazorb substrate, it is quite a big bag and last me a few months due to the size of the cage. Many other people use paper based substrates such as carefresh or fitch.

Your list is correct about things you will need, but be cautious when buying an exercise wheel, you just need to make sure it is big enough for the species of hamster you end up buying and that it is solid and not a mesh type. You will also need some sort of hide, you can even use an upside shoebox or something similar for this. Anything that you can add to a cage that the hamster can run in and out of, you don't always have to buy things for this. You can recycle cardboard boxes/tubes etc

A vet fund is quite a good thing to have as well, for any unexpected situations arising.

Also, just to let you know caring for a hamster can be so much fun and can bring a lot of joy into your life.