View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 01:30 PM  
AprilPearl
Hamster Hugger

Default Re: Older hamster not eating his food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I'd give him what he likes and what he can eat. Babyfood, porridge, scrambled egg etc. Maybe you could grind the seeds and mix them with a little water...

He is a very old man and maybe his teeth aren't in the best condition. I haven't had an older hamster as yet so am not talking from experience.

If you are very worried about his health and weight loss you could take him for a check up of course.
Thank you for the suggestions, Ria. Much appreciated. I think I’ll have to check his teeth but I’m not sure how to do that. He’s a very chilled out little guy, doesn’t mind being turned upside down in the slightest and has never bitten anyone so I don’t think he will mind too much. But I’m not sure how I can get a good look at his teeth. Presumably I would have to love his lips apart but I don’t want to hurt him!

I don’t think he is actually sick so I’m hesitant to take him to the vet in case it causes him any stress. He just seems not to have much of an appetite and is only really eating his favourite things (which don’t include his mix, unfortunately!)