View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 01:45 PM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Luna update Amoxicillin (Synulox)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
The reason amoxicillin is considered dangerous for guinea pigs, hamsters and gerbils is because it kills intestinal bacteria, causing diarrhoea which may be severe. To be safe, I would ring the vet again and explain your concerns, and double check that they meant to prescribe amoxicillin. It may have been a mistake. Ask if they can prescribe a different antibiotic. This article (Drug Therapy in Pet Rodents) lists some antibiotics that are considered safe for hamsters (amoxicillin is not among them).

Just out of curiosity, what were Luna's symptoms that led to her being diagnosed with renal failure? I've heard of it occurring it rodents, but I wasn't sure what symptoms it would cause? How was it diagnosed?
Thanks for that. I would rather try a different antibiotic i think - will call them tomorrow.
She had xrays and a scan and it showed her kidneys failing - it could be just an age thing, but she also bleeds every now and then, plus she had a uti - and now she has strong urine,drinking more than normal and possibly another infection, all signs that her kidneys are failing. I may have missed a few things out but i think that is the majority of it. She is still active, eating and drinking, hasn't lost weight, so still has a quality of life.