Thread: Lazy hamster
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 11:43 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Lazy hamster

Yes, just take him out and plonk him on your lap. I had a little treat ready for mine and he ate it while sitting on my hands. Then take him somewhere safe where he can explore and if he doesn't like it put him back and try again a few days later.

As Fluffograms said, it can take a while to find out what he likes. Took me quite a while and Henry still doesn't ask to come out but when he's in the mood for exploring he gets all wriggly and impatient when i walk up the stairs to the bike room. I even staged an escape at one point (there's a thread somewhere) to start off his sense for adventure. Your hamster will tell you with his body language when he does not want to come out at all and when he's possibly in the right mood.

The other night i opened the small roof section to take the toilet out and he was sitting there wide awake and munching sweetcorn. When i came back with a clean toilet a minute later he was rolled up in his nest pretending to sleep. I couldn't help laughing and on impulse reached in and gently stroked him before closing the roof. The little monkey kicked out....in his sleep, i guess.
The message to leave him alone was clear.

When he wants to be out he does a lot of sniffing, ears are up and he's wriggly and excited. Once i carried him in my handbag because it was the safest immediate transport option.

I think self contained hamsters like ours take a bit more effort to get to know because they won't come to us.

Was the same with his cage set up. Took me a while to figure out what he liked and wanted but got there in the end.

Let us know how you get on.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote