View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 08:14 AM  
10Minutes
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Hi new and would like some advice please

Hi Franny!

1. I agree with the others that one dwarf hamster is fine, and they are supposed to be happier and healthier if kept alone.

2. That cage is not suitable for any hamster. I hope you can return it, but if you can't, maybe you can keep it as a temporary cage for when you need to keep it somewhere while you clean out its real cage. Please do not set up the platforms if you do so as it may fall and injure itself. Also, do not clean out its cage too often (We can elaborate more on this if you need help).

If you have the budget for a big cage, great! If you'd prefer to minimise expenses, I suggest you start out with a cheap huge storage bin (preferably 100cm X 50cm or larger as recommended by others here). Cut open the sides for ventilation and cover them with wire mesh and you are ready to go. If you need more elaboration on this, feel free to ask, as everyone here is very friendly and have helped me a lot too.

3. An exercise wheel is compulsory for hamsters. The wheel in that photo is quite small. For a dwarf hamster, you need a wheel that is at least 6.5 inches or it will injure its back, and the wheel should not be made from wire mesh or it will injure its feet. A golden hamster will need a bigger one.

4. Please ensure that you do not buy pine or cedar bedding, or any kind of fluffy bedding such as anything from fabric, wool, etc.

5. Please do not bathe the hamster in water at any point in its life unless it is an emergency, such as if there are any toxic substances (glue etc) stuck to its fur that cannot be cut out. Even so, take a few minutes to research the details of how to do it and be very careful about it, proceed with caution. If in doubt, get a vet's assistance.

6. Please do not play with the hamster during its first week with you. You should leave it alone except to provide fresh food and drink, and after that, you can slowly introduce yourself to it.

It sounds like a lot of trouble at first, but really, once everything is set up properly from the start and the proper supplies are found (food, bedding etc), all you need to do is ensure it has food and drink and check on it to make sure it's healthy and well. You need to be able to get it to a vet if it is ill. It's actually relatively low maintenance, because it can be left alone (for reasonable time periods) if it has proper supplies and a good cage, unlike a cat or dog that might get lonely when there are no humans around.

If in any doubt about what to do or what to get for your hamster, feel free to ask, as people here are helpful and friendly. I am new to this and have learnt a lot from them too.

Last edited by 10Minutes; 08-04-2019 at 10:49 AM.
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote