View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 06:39 AM  
candebird

Default Pretty sure my new Russian dwarf has cage aggression. Wondering if I'm doing the righ

I bought her around two and a half weeks ago now. She's the sweetest thing I've ever seen and I can't get enough of just looking at her. Unfortunately, it seems as though my sweet baby is showing some signs of cage aggression. I noticed some peculiar behaviours that seemed out of character from the typical shy, cautious hamsters so many owners have in the beginning. She:

Chases my hand

Leaps at my hand

Stands upright with paws to chest (apparently this is a defensive/threatening pose?)

Chatters her teeth together quietly sometimes (I read online that this is a warning sound?)

Attacked her wheel twice after running into it while trying to chase my hand

These are pretty big signs of territorial hammies right? I haven't attempted to hold her yet because I'm a bit scared. I've had two hammies (robos) in the past who I never held (not because they were aggressive, rather I was scared) but they learned to appreciate my presence, and admittedly I was hoping to get over my slight fear of holding them with my new Russian dwarf but it looks like I won't have much luck.

I don't mind, I love her regardless but I am worried that simply being around her causes her distress. Whenever she hears my voice she starts going a little wild, and I'd hate to think it frightens her. Do you think she'll at least learn to accept my voice?

Her enclosure is twice the size of the standard requirements, she has all natural wooden toys and hides, about 6-7inches of carefresh bedding and an appropriately sized wheel. I scatter feed her and alternate with fresh veggies once a week. She has a large deep sand bath for digging. I have seen no signs of boredom or distress when left to her own devices.

Just looking for some advice. Even your own experiences or if you think I'm misreading her behaviour. I want my sweet girl to be happy. I am of course crestfallen but her comfort comes first. If she's happy then at the end of the day so am I, but if anyone can help or at least normalise my experience I'll feel a lot better.
candebird is offline   Reply With Quote