View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 03:18 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: PLEASE HELP: to operate or not?

I am very sorry too. He sounds amazing and much loved. Two years is a very difficult call. With any operation on a hamster, there is always a risk, especially when older, that they may not survive the anaesthetic. But then at least they don't die of cancer. On the other hand surgery is a lot for an older hamster to go through and the cancer often comes back.

I think the worst thing in these situations is the uncertainty - as to how long they can live with a tumour and how long before they suffer. And he may die of something else first if he is older.

I had something similar with our robo this year, who had "lumps". He was 18 months old and the vet would have operated, but it was risky as they covered such a large body area. I suspected he may not survive the operation. So made the decision to go with "palliative care" and he is on daily Metacam pain relief.

I don't know if his lumps are cancer or benign - but he is still active and enjoying his food and has no idea what is wrong with him!

My feeling would be, that even if you found a vet who would operate, the cancer would come back, and it may be best to let him live out his life. I would ask your vet for Metacam in case he has any pain (they hide it well as they are prey animals).

He may pass peacefully in his home one night, of old age or organ failure (common in old age) or he may begin to go downhill and suffer and then you would need to think about helping him on his way.

So -you could seek a second opinion but if you don't know if the cancer has spread then it may not make any difference having surgery.