View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 12:49 PM  
PuppyMintMocha
Newborn Pup

Default Re: I think my hamster hates me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonmcn View Post
Okay well first off a hamster genuinely isn't capable of hate. So get that out of your head. She might not like a hand in her cage, which is fine. She might be frustrated she isn't getting the treat she's expecting which is also fine.

I think the best idea is to handle her mostly outside the cage and without treats for a while. If she nibbles move your hand away and just keep doing that, she'll get the picture. But be aware that a lot of hams aren't going to be cuddly, they aren't going to be interested in your hands unless they get something out of it and that is also 100% fine! They're all different. The cuddly ones are the rarity from my experience.

None of mine see me as anything but a food dispenser or a climbing frame but they're not scared of me. They trust me enough to be picked up the odd time and that's enough. From a tiny prey animals who's only been domesticated for 50-60 years we are expecting a lot of them.
Yes, this too! If she never stops biting you, you may just have to accept who she is and love her anyway. Out of the 6+ hamsters I've cared for, there was only one that I would say seemed to really LOVE to be held and pet, the others either disliked it or just didn't mind it.
PuppyMintMocha is offline   Reply With Quote