View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 07:42 AM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Hamster bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Hmm. They will usually take the Metacam in baby food as it tastes of honey. The Baytril is very hard to disguise - was it the beefy country hunter dog food? That is what worked for me. It's virtually all meat. Some others may not be strong tasting enough.

Mind you our last Syrian Charlie was like that about metacam and wouldn't touch anything that had it in (he was a very picky hamster!)

The Baytril is important to get down her each day - it may need to be syringed if she won't take it in food. ie wrap her in a blanket, tip her upside down (but not too flat, sort of upside down but upright) and gently squirt it in the side of her mouth. Drawing up a teeny bit of runny honey with the baytril in the syringe will stop it tasting so bitter. Upright so she doesn't choke on it.

Another suggestion for metacam was mixing it in a pea sized amount of runny honey on a teaspoon - she should lick it off.

Glad she's active anyway! The antibiotics must be doing some good. She may be a bit stressed after the vet visit too - they can get very active then and kind of do circuits. Hope she settles down.
Thanks for the tips - yes it was the beef dog food
i might have to try honey
in the end i gave her half the dosage from the syringe as i know she did not get the full dosage from the bits of food she was picking at.

you may be right re the activity last night as i think she wore herself out. She has not really moved since, she didn't even move when i went looking for her this morning and I ended up taking the house off her lid (i thought she was dead!) I just want to add i don't ever take her lid off to her house when she is in it, I've always wanted to make sure she felt safe in her house. But i did sneakily lift a corner today and could see she wasn't there - so i had to go looking for her. I could tell from my camera footage she hadn't been up in the morning to stock up on water and food like she does every day (normally)

She hasn't touched her water but i did give her cucumber yesterday, but I am concerned/wondering if she is just too old to be going through all of this.
I will have to see how she is tonight and after this scan tomorrow (although I am still waiting to hear from the vets re that) I will repeat all of this to the vets when they call me.
Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by LunaTheHamster1; 07-09-2019 at 08:32 AM. Reason: house
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote