View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 08:48 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Playpen and space

I play it be ear with Newt. Usually he wants to come out every 3 or 4 days. Sometimes every day! Sometimes I don’t see much of him for a few days Some of that may depend on weather and their moods! Newt was in the regular habit of coming out every 2 or 3 days. When I moved our other hamster’s cage into the same room he suddenly wanted to be out every night and sometimes twice a night! (Jealousy and attention?). That settled down again to the usual routine. I was then away for a week and he went quite reclusive afterwards (sulking?) and has just started coming out again. He will come and sit at one of the cage doors if he wants to come out. Or alternatively sit on his house looking out through the cage bars with an expression that says - how can you leave me here? (Guilt making!).

Our last hamster never voluntarily came out - a few times he did want to late at night, when he was on a less large cage. But generally he had to be tempted out. But enjoyed it and benefitted from it once out and was able to interact with us more. He’s the one that used to go to sleep on my knee under a blanket or would sit between us on the sofa for ages!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote