View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 06:43 PM  
10Minutes
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Roborovski - Help, what do I do to prevent a death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacassei View Post
Ive never had condensation from ceramic items in my cages so it should be fine! I also use ceramic plant pots and dishes to keep hammies cool in summer.

I wouldnt keep a fan pointed directly at her cage but having one in the room shouldnt hurt, I have a fan in my room (7 hamsters) and none of them are bothered by it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I've never had a problem from a chilled ceramic mug Another option is a terracotta plant pot base to sit on (best on a shelf as they're heavy) or a teracotta plant pot on its side. In fact you can sprinkle those with cold water (which evaporates) to help it stay cool.

A fan in the room would be good, but as alpa says - not pointing directly at the cage.
Okay, thanks for the suggestions so much. I noticed she loves sunflower seeds (she picks them out from her food mix bowl that gets filled once a day) and every time I start to get overtly concerned about her, I pass her a sunflower seed and she opens it up to eat immediately. I know I'm spoiling her a little, but I'm just concerned and it does seem like such an easy way to check if she's still eating normally (I hope that means she's in good health).

I've given her about 5 in the past day. I'll try not to give her too much in future but for now, I'm just so worried that she has issues settling in, and what with the death of her sister, etc. I can barely sleep from all the anxiety because I can't bear to see her die before her time.

And it's finally Friday here so I'll be able to go off after work in the evening to shop for some ceramics, toys, and treats for her.

She seems fine for now so if there are no further issues, I won't update in this health thread and clog it up with what all of you probably think is the "boring daily life of a typical hamster owned by a paranoid newbie". I hope I won't need to update in this thread any longer, but I'll definitely explore the other parts of the forum. Thank you everyone, all of you have been so helpful and sweet. <33 My little Louise thanks all of you too.
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote