View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 07:01 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Is this cage safe?

Personally I wouldn't get this for a pair of dwarf hamsters. If it is for a pair you would need to use it without levels anyway - the set up for a pair needs to be careful to avoid fighting breaking out and serious injuries or worse! Levels encourage territorial behaviour. There have been issues with chewing with this cage but also I think there are better options Although it is a great size.

I am not sure how they slide about in a plastic cage - would that be on plastic shelves?

If it is for a pair of dwarf hamsters then you'd be looking at something around 90 to 100cm cage ideally. To be able to easily fit two of everything in (or even 3 of everything) which is what is needed to avoid them falling out, while not having it such a large area that that could also lead to territorial behaviours.

Also bear in mind that very often, pairs do end up needing separating at some point due to fighting breaking out, often when they get a bit older and their hormones kick in - even with a careful set up. And then you need two cages.

How long have they been living together? I am guessing not long and the first cage you got isn't working out. Aside from fighting there can be dominance behaviour and bullying - one may end up much bigger than the other and taking all the food. So watch out for that.

I'm guessing you're in the Uk from the link. With a plastic based cage they shouldn't slip around if there is plenty of substrate (at least 4" but 5 to 6 or more is better so they can dig tunnels etc). And no levels.

Height can be an issue due to fall risks as well with dwarf hamsters. Personally I would suggest the maxi duna multy would be a good option - although it isn't cheap. It's a tank style 100cm cage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferplast-Ma...gateway&sr=8-1

If they did fall out you would need another cage. What is your current cage? It might be able to be easily adapted for a single dwarf if they needed separating, if it isn't too small, and at least would be an emergency cage.

Another option is a bin cage - but to find a bin big enough doesn't make it that cheap an option and you'd need to do a bit of diy. It would be cheaper than a maxi duna multy though!

The only bin big enough I know of suitable for a pair is the largest RUB bin

Go Shopping - Really Useful Boxes - 145 litre Really Useful Box

It's also good plastic and supposed to be easy to cut without cracking. Here are some examples of bin cages. It means cutting panels out of the box - probably with a heated stanley knife. Fixing mesh over the panels with cable ties (something to poke holes for the cable ties eg soldering iron or an adapted something similar).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ha...w=1366&bih=604

I think they would be happier in a maxi duna or a bin cage as the wood one is very high and with no shelves they may feel too much space above - unless you put 30cm or more of substrate in! Which is an option - so it's a cage for digging tunnels and burrows.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote