View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 12:29 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Syrian getting old

It is uncertain what to expect. Newt was not particularly active at 18 months old but is very active now! But only certain days. Around 20 months I adjusted his cage as noticed he couldn't climb very well without falling over (weakness maybe) so removed levels and made the floor level more interesting. He does actually still have one shelf but very low and with a long shallow ramp - part tunnel - no hanging things or things to climb into.

Sometimes the weather affects whether they come out of the cage more. Have to say since I've been letting Newt free roam in the living room he's been wanting to come out a lot more! That is also an indicator of how active and well they are if you see how they are when out and about in a hamsterproof room. She may get more interested and then you'll see if she is still quite active or whether she doesn't do much. With Newt it started off slowly just pottering around in a small area and cautious. Now he zooms all over the living room.

However if you feel she is failing and slowing down then that feeling may be right. And it's a case of gauging quality of life - if she enjoys her food even if slow and reclusive, and doesn't seem unhappy then she is just slowing down. If she seems hunched she may be in pain.

I would see what she is like out of the cage - on the sofa eg, for a stroke or a sit on your arm.

They can just go suddenly or gradually decline. Just keep an eye on her.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote