View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 06:11 AM  
lucyhope
Newborn Pup

Question Beginner feeling totally overwhelmed!

Hello,
I'm looking to be getting my hamster in August, I'm now leaning towards a robo. I'm trying to plan what on earth I'm going to feed them, but I don't know where to begin.
My current thought is to feed a diet that consists of some pelleted or muesli mix; some seed mix such as the ratrations mix or bird seed; fresh greens and veg; dried proteins (mealworms, dried chicken cat treats, dried shrimp etc); and some fresh stuff like egg, chicken, sprouted seeds or yoghurt if I have it around.
This just seems like an awful lot to balance and still come out with the recommended percentages. I'm comfortable with maths and have a fairly basic understanding of nutrition, but I could calculate protein percentages etc of all this food in total but that would require me to weigh everything I'm feeding which seems massively inconvenient.
I'm tempted by the idea of picking out filler from a store mix but surely that's where most of the fibre and roughage is?
I live in the UK but am reasonably happy to import things if necessary, this just feels like quite a lot to deal with and it seems that there is no correct answer.
I wonder what the simplest, safe thing to start with is and then I'll make improvements from there.
I'm used to keeping Guinea pigs so I have the formula of a mix plus hay plus fresh food plus water plus treats in my head and was wondering if there's a similar thing I can keep in mind.
A lot of the masterlists seem outdated, for example the science selective (I think) has changed its formula now? It's very confusing.

Thank you for any help.
lucyhope is offline   Reply With Quote