View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 04:04 AM  
Shannonmcn
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: new hamster mom -- please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenkj View Post
hi, guys! i am a 21 yr old female and i did the worst thing...i bought my hamster without doing any research. her name is aspen and i believe she is a robo but am unsure. after i brought her home and panicked about it, i read a lot and found this site. she is now in a very large tub (four times the size the cage the petco employee recommended), eating 100 natural food, has a wheel and several tubes and huts. when i first got her, she was biting the bars of her cage and running around and climbing them constantly. now, she seems much more relaxed...roams around normally, bathes herself much less, doesn't bite her things all of the time. but she won't relax in my hands.
i did not touch her for a week. i tried to treat-tame her, but she always bit my hands. then, i scooped her up in a cup to clean her cage and she immediately climbed into my hands and started to crawl all over my arms and shoulders. since then, i've been holding her like that -- letting her run all around me and she never bites, but she also will never relax.
i badly want her to sleep on me, what can i do?
Why would she want to sleep on you? She can sleep in her cage. Out of cage time is for exploring! If you were only let out of the house once a day would you spend your time napping?

You do seem to see a lot of "oh my lovely girl out for snuggles" with photos of sleeping hams all over the internet but just like I don't see many women in real life who look like instagram models, you don't see many hams conforming to that stereotype in real life either. They're exceptions, not the norm and they are almost always syrians, usually males.

Robos are an entirely new kettle of fish and tbh the fact that your little girl is happy to come sit on you for a walnut already puts her in the top % bracket of tame robos.

You're stretching for the sun here when you've already lucked into the moon in your hand.
Shannonmcn is offline   Reply With Quote