View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 05:25 PM  
Dearest
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Hamster change in behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffagrams View Post
It may be possible that she may have been with males in a pet shop as employees are not always able to accurately sex hamsters, particularly Russian and Roborovski Hamsters where it may not always be as glaringly obvious.

A Russian Hamster's usual gestation is about 18 days but they can delay pregnancy so it can be up to 25 days gestation. Often pregnant Syrians will show in the run up to the due date but this is not always the case and I had a Chinese who barely showed at all when she was pregnant with her 7 babies. If she is pregnant then it's best to keep disturbances to a minimum until the pups are about 14 days old. If they've recentely given birth you may notice them spending very little time outside of the nest, and once out, they will often rush back again. You may also hear squeaks or rustling in the nest that might give you an indication that there are babies on the way and you may notice some change to the mother's shape.

Hopefully this is not going to be the case and the changes in her behaviour are down to seasonal variations but just in case I thought I ought to cover it. There are several breeders on this forum on hand to give advice if she is pregnant so don't worry we can help you with information on that.
Thank you! In my sort of freaking out moment I did some research on pregnancy and pup care, but it only made me want babies less and less lol. I hear nothing in her cage so that’s a big relief. I can’t wait until the one month mark so I can put this behind, sounds silly, but it’s pure nightmare fuel to me. No idea what I’d do with 7 babies after they wean
Dearest is offline   Reply With Quote